Saturday, April 23, 2011

Good Eats...5280 Week 2011

Every year in February Denver has an awesome tradition. It's called 5280 Restaurant Week. It is a week where literally hundreds of restaurants in the Denver metro area create a special dining experience for two at the cost of $52.80 (or just $26.40 for one). Keep in mind that there are dining establishments on the list that normally charge much more than $52.80. Last year a group of friends and I celebrated 5280 week with a trip to Texas deBrazil. I was a first timer and I was amazed at the journey my taste buds were taken on. We laughed and made many a crude joke about "men with meat". I think Michelle's face in this pic says it all. 

This year when 5280 week rolled around we decided that we needed to up the anty a bit and we chose three places to visit. 

My friend Helen was the Hostess with the mostest.


She did all the organizing, created themes for each night and made decorations and favors for everyone.

 Round 1

Our first outing was dubbed, "A Night of Glitz, Glam and Bling" at Elway's in Cherry Creek. We were asked to wear our finest attire and all the glitz glam and bling we could carry off.

Here I am dressed and ready for a fun night. 

 When we arrived we were greeted by a table decorated with feather boas and these cute GG&B boxes at each places setting. Inside were beautiful rhinestone earrings for each guest.


Dinner was scrumptious!

Especially Dessert!

Brownies and Cheesecake lollipops, yummy.
(Insert schweaty chocolate balls jokes here...we did.)


 A great time was had by all (to the envy of the tables around us).

Round 2

Our second outing was a repeat of last year's "Men With Meat" (on skewers). 
This year it fell just before Mardi Gras so we went with the festive Mardi Gras Theme.



 The men with meat did not disappoint.



Some new friends were added to the group.


And Helen even had a slice of King Cake for all of us. Cass was the lucky winner of the baby in her slice.

 Fabulous Food and Festive Fun!!!

Round 3 

Our final 5280 week outing was to The Melting Pot of Littleton. It is one of the restaurants that extends its 5280 special well past the official dates. We enjoyed our "It's a wrap" dinner on the March 31st, the last night of their month long special. For me that date was bittersweet. I was excited to go to one of my favorite places with friends,  but the date marked the anniversary of my layoff and an entire year of unemployment. I decided that the only way to properly enjoy the evening was to invite a couple of my friends who were laid off with me, so Mindy and Nora joined the 5280 group. 


We dipped our sorrows in melted cheese, doused them in batter and fried them in oil and finally drizzled them in chocolate. I couldn't think of a better way to make ourselves feel better.





All in all this year's 5280 adventure was a HUGE success. Thanks again Helen for all of your efforts in organizing and planning these fun evenings. 

I may have eaten lots of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and top ramen in order to afford these fun nights, but it was SOOO worth it!

Can't wait for next year.

1 comment:

Janna said...

I'm hungry now! How fun to go out and try places you normally wouldn't go...I love 5280 Week :)