Sunday, December 5, 2010

Catching up.

As I sat in my parents house my mom reminded me that I am still behind on my thankful posts. That was last week and now it is not even November anymore but I wanted to finish.

So here is the rest of my list, again in no particular order. 

#17. Chocolate
Oprah's set made entirely of Godiva chocolate

Here are a few of my theories on my favorite sweet treat. 

SEVEN DAYS WITHOUT CHOCOLATE MAKES ONE WEAK
 
CHOCOLATE IS CHEAPER THAN THERAPY, 
AND YOU DON'T NEED AN APPOINTMENT

THERE IS NOTHING BETTER THAN A GOOD FRIEND, 
EXCEPT A GOOD FRIEND WITH CHOCOLATE

#18 Weather forecasts that are WRONG

Last week there was a "storm of the century" forecast for Utah, right before Thanksgiving. People were stocking up on groceries and water, buying generators, and schools closed early. College students prepared to face the worst roads in years as they headed over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house for Thanksgiving. My daughter was among them. She loaded her car with essential supplies in case she got stuck in a blizzard. The blizzard that never happened. 

#19  Grocery Stores
While enjoying my Thanksgiving dinner I thought about the early settlers and all of the work they had to do to put on their Thanksgiving feast. I am thankful that all the good food I need (and some of the junk I don't need) is just down the street at my local grocery store.

#20 Sleeping in on Black Friday
 In past years I have been one of those crazy people who go out in the wee hours of the morning to stand in line in freezing temperatures waiting for a great Black Friday deal. Not this year. This year I slept in, went no where near a store of any kind...and really enjoyed it!

#21  My Sewing Machine
I have been sewing for a long time. I got my first sewing machine for my birthday when I was 12 or 13 (I don't remember exactly) but I still have that machine and it still works great, Thanks to my local repair man who told me to forget buying something new, that he would keep my old friend running for me. It has made baby clothes and blankets, pajamas, at least a dozen prom dresses, skirts, curtains, duvets, pillows and other home decor. It is not a fancy machine, just an old Kenmore with lots of miles on it but I love it.

#22 Computers
This was the first computer I ever used. It was a Radio Shack TRS-80 and I took a computer class in middle school. We learned to write programs using If>Then statements that would make a green dash on a black screen do something cool.

We've come a long way since then. Today computers can fit in your pocket
and connect you to the world. I love technology!


#23Tweezers
The older I get the more hairs I find growing out of strange places...nuff said!


#24  Children's Laughter

No matter how bad my day has been or how depressed I may be feeling hearing the sounds of children laughing (especially babies) makes my day.

#25  ATMs
Cash in a box, what could be more convenient?
Well, maybe unlimited funds.

#26 Peanut Butter
 Maybe I am just a kid at heart but I love Peanut Butter. 
A good PB&J is just divine.

Even just on a spoon I love the stuff.
Even better when combined with #17 above.


#27 Good Customer Service
I have worked in customer service for much of my career. It is often a thankless job. People can be very RUDE and unappreciative. That is why when I do get good customer service I try and make a point of letting them know how much I appreciate it. I have recently received great service at Wells Fargo, Dish Network, Chase, and even at Walmart in Grand Junction.
#28 My Faith
I am a Mormon, LDS, Latter Day Saint...whatever you want to call it. 
I am proud of my faith and thankful 
for how it has shaped me into who I am today. 

#29 America

I have always thought Lee Greenwood's song says it best. 

I’m proud to be an American,
where at least I know I’m free.
And I wont forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me. And I gladly stand up,
next to you and defend her still today.
‘ Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land,
God bless the USA


#30 ME

 I am not perfect.
I make mistakes. 
I laugh. 
I cry. 
I love and I am loved. 
I enjoy life.

 So that's my list for this year. I am sure there are things that I am thankful for that I neglected to mention in this list.
I am going to try and be thankful for something every day, 
not just in November because I am truly blessed to be me.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

What a nice post LeAnne! I made a real effort to just enjoy Thanksgiving and not use the word "Black Friday"....felt like I got some good deals anyways and let Thanksgiving be a great Holiday. Anyways, I'm glad you finished your post.